This Privacy Notice was last updated on 25 November 2022
This Privacy Notice applies to all personal identifiable information (“Personal Data”) we collect and process. It covers what we collect and how we use, disclose, transfer, and store Personal Data as well as your rights to this information. We value your privacy and observe due care in processing and protecting Personal Data. We recommend you read this notice carefully.
We process Personal Data through the HERO IoT websites, applications (“HERO IoT Sites”) and services. By voluntarily using the HERO IoT Sites and services, and/or providing data or other information via the HERO IoT Sites and services, you are indicating your consent to this Privacy Notice and agreement to be bound by its terms.
Novodi is considered part of HERO IoT sites and therefore all the below provisions apply to both HERO IoT and Novodi.
Who we are
The HERO IoT Sites are provided by HERO IoT, an entity established under the laws of the Netherlands.
All tasks and responsibilities concerning data protection are covered by our support. You may submit inquiries regarding personal data protection, privacy and security matters or contact us for other reasons via email@example.com.
The scope of this Privacy Notice includes the collection of Personal Data through:
- The website available at hero-iot.com and novodi.app, and other web sites form which you are accessing this Privacy Notice (e.g., Portal, Documentation pages, account pages);
- Our social media pages;
- HTML-formatted email messages and polls that we send to you and that link to this Privacy Notice;
and applies to all visitors/users of the HERO IoT Sites and services, and our Social Media Pages.
You may visit the HERO IoT Sites anonymously, without telling us who you are and without revealing any information about yourself. There are times, however, when we may need certain Personal Data from you.
You may choose to provide us with Personal Data (such as your name, email address and company name) through the HERO IoT Sites when you elect to register with HERO IoT in order to download our products or access premium content, or to make use of the Novodi Platform. When you provide Personal Data in order to register with HERO IoT, such Personal Data will be used in order to provide you with access to the requested products, services, content and/or information. We may also use Personal Data to help us understand who is using our products and services, to support you in the development as community member or developer and optimizing the use of the HERO IoT Platform, and to help us manage business development activities.
How we collect Personal Data
We may collect your Personal Data:
- When you contact us with your questions, comments, ideas, complaints, or communicate with HERO IoT (including when applying for employment with HERO IoT): we may collect various information, depending on the manner in which you contact us (e.g., if you send us an email, we will collect your email address; if you solicit for a job, we will collect your details as provided in your application) and the reason for contacting us. In any case, we will collect your contact details to be able to respond and further communicate with you.
- When you subscribe to our newsletters, blogs and updates mailing list: we will collect your email address and country.
- When you submit a support ticket with HERO IoT: we will collect your email address so we can respond to your report. You will also need to describe the problem that you have experienced with our services so we can take care of it. We strongly recommend you not to send us screenshots and/or attachments that contain production data of your applications, or any confidential or personal data, when you submit a support ticket with us.
- When you visit the HERO IoT Sites: HERO IoT may also collect certain data from your computer and internet connection, including the IP address of your computer, the date and time you accessed our web sites, the internet address of web sites from which you link to the HERO IoT Sites, the device you are using (such as laptop or tablet) and your movements and preferences on the HERO IoT Sites.
- When you sign up to use the Novodi Platform: When you participate in the Novodi Platform we will collect Platform Usage statistics and analytics that consist of Personal Data (such as your name, email address, company, certification, platform activities).
- When you attend a webinar or an online event of HERO IoT: We collect your first name, last name, your email address, company name, the country, and the area of focus.
- From other sources: we may receive Personal Data from other sources, marketing partners, social media platforms, talent acquisition partners, from your co-workers and friends, as well as from other third parties. We also may receive data from publicly available sources by data enrichment services.
- Offline: we may collect Personal Data about you offline, such as when you attend one of our events or visit our exhibition booths by scanning your badge or call our customer service representatives.
If you submit any Personal Data relating to other people to us in connection with our services or talent acquisition, you represent you have the authority to do so and permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Newsletters & Updates
If you subscribe to our newsletter and/or updates, we will use your email address to send the newsletter and/or updates to you. You may unsubscribe at any time by using the link in each newsletter or to unsubscribe or update communication or visit our web site unsubscribe page or firstname.lastname@example.org
Invitations to Novodi Platform
If you choose to invite another person to a HERO IoT Platform account or project, we will ask you for the name and email address of that person. We will automatically send that person an invitation email to visit the HERO IoT Sites, to create an account or join your project. HERO IoT stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program.
We collect information from visits to the HERO IoT Sites to help us provide a better experience, service and to make the HERO IoT Sites as user friendly and purposeful as possible. For example, we keep track of the domains from which people visit and we also measure visitor activity on the HERO IoT Sites. However, when we do so, we do so in ways that keep the information anonymous.
HERO IoT may use this data to analyze trends and statistics and to help us provide better user experience and service. None of the information described in this paragraph is reviewed at an individual level.
Links to Other Web Sites
The HERO IoT Sites may contain links to other web sites. HERO IoT is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites. The links from the HERO IoT Sites to other web sites do not imply that HERO IoT endorses or has reviewed the third-party web sites. We suggest contacting the operators of those websites directly for information on their privacy policies.
Platform Usage Analytics
We collect information from visits to the Novodi Platform to help us and our community members, developers and customers to provide a better experience, service and give insight to developments. This analysis, statistics and other data generated by your use of the HERO IoT Platform may be disclosed with your team members.
Use of Personal Data
We use Personal Data only when we are allowed to by law. Most commonly, the reasons are the performing of a contract with you or your employer, the consent you gave to us, when it is necessary for our legitimate interests (and your interests and rights don’t override ours), and when we need to comply with legal or regulatory obligations.
We may use Personal Data:
- To login (SSO) you to the HERO IoT Sites;
- To manage our relationship with you, such as your registration to our events or as a customer;
- Providing you with the products and services you have requested;
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests;
- To send administrative information to you, such as the services and changes to our terms, conditions and policies;
- To allow you to send messages to your connections through the services;
- To send marketing communications that may be relevant to you;
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving and modifying our services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities;
- To understand your use of the HERO IoT Platform as community member or developer;
- To support you as developer in your performance, your training and the development on your projects;
- To support your team in the performance on the projects your team is working on;
- To allow you to participate in prize draws, competitions and promotional activities and to administer these activities (some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully);
- To facilitate social sharing functionality; and
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal processes; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations and those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety and property, and that of our affiliates, you and others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies and limit the damages that we may sustain.
We may use Personal Data for compatible purposes if we think we need to do so.
For any uses on the basis of legitimate interest, we have conducted a legitimate interest assessment to ensure that such processing isn’t overridden by your rights or interests.
Developing the HERO IoT Platform: We use aggregated and personal data about your use of the HERO IoT Platform and services to develop the platform. These activities are necessary to fulfill our interest in creating a better platform and helping us create better technology and better communications.
Share Personal Data
HERO IoT is not in the business of selling Personal Data. We consider this information to be a vital part of our relationship with you. There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may share Personal Data with certain third parties without further notice to you, as set forth below:
- HERO IoT, like many businesses, sometimes hires other companies to perform certain business-related functions, such as web site hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, processing payments, and other similar services. When we employ another company to perform a function of this nature, we only provide them with the information that they need to perform their specific function.
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are being able to post information and materials (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose will become public information and may be available to users of the HERO IoT Sites and services, and our Social Media Pages, and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information about you.
- To your connections associated with your social media account, to other web site users, as well as to your social media account provider, in connection with your social sharing activity, such as if you connect your social media account to your HERO IoT account or log into your HERO IoT account from your social media account. By connecting your HERO IoT account and your social media account, you authorize us to share information with your social media account provider and you understand that the use of the information we share will be governed by the social media site’s privacy notice. If you do not want Personal Data about you shared with other users or with your social media account provider, please do not connect your social media account with your HERO IoT account and do not participate in social sharing on the HERO IoT Sites and services.
- HERO IoT may share your registration data for an event of HERO IoT with Partners of HERO IoT who are listed on the registration page, The Partners will use your registration data for the purposes of their participation in the event. If a Partner intends to use your personal data for any other purposes, they will contact you to explain how and for which other purposes they will use your registration data.
- In the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings) we may disclose Personal Data to a third party.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate we may also disclose Personal Data to a third party: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal processes; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations and those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety and property, and that of our affiliates, you and others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies and limit the damages that we may sustain.
Personal Data related to you is treated as strictly confidential and we have taken appropriate technical and organizational security measures against loss and unlawful processing of such information. To protect the Personal Data about you against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, use, or alteration and against unauthorized disclosure or access, we use adequate physical, technical and organizational security measures. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please notify us immediately about the problem by contacting us.
If you tell us that you do not want us to use Personal Data as a basis for further contact, we will respect your wishes. Regarding our use of the Personal Data about you, you can exercise a variety of the rights, such as:
- Request access to the Personal Data we have about you;
- Ask us to erase Personal Data we have about you;
- Object any processing we do on the basis of legitimate interests;
- Ask us to restrict the processing of Personal Data about you;
- If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter and/or updates, unsubscribe at any time by using the unsubscribe link located at the bottom of each newsletter or update communication, or contact email@example.com
- Ask us to correct any incorrect Personal Data we have about you. If you are registered to the HERO IoT Sites as user, you may review and update this information at any time through the account page.
As noted above, you can log into your profile setting on the HERO IoT Sites and view, change or replace your own profile data. If you want to exercise any of the foregoing rights or have any other question regarding the Personal Data related to you, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your request, please let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of Personal Data related to you. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Data associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note also that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
Unless indicated otherwise at the time of the collection of Personal Data about you (e.g. within a form completed by you), we erase the Personal Data if the retention of that data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed, or to comply with legal obligations (such as retention obligations under tax or commercial laws).
Transfer of Personal Data
Personal Data may be stored on servers located within the European Economic Area and may also be processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers.
In the event that we transfer Personal Data about you outside the European Economic Area, we ensure that this Personal Data is protected in a manner which is consistent with the General Data Protection Regulation. Therefore, and if required by applicable law, we take the following measures:
We may transfer Personal Data to external recipients outside the European Economic Area if the recipient has entered into EU Standard Contractual Clauses with us.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We may change our business and the HERO IoT Sites from time to time. As a result, at times it may be necessary for us to make changes to this Privacy Notice. We reserve the right to update or modify this Privacy Notice at any time without prior notice. We recommend that you review this Privacy Notice regularly, so that you remain informed of any changes. Your continued use of the HERO IoT Sites after any changes or revisions to this Privacy Notice shall indicate your agreement with the terms of such revised notice.